We get a lot of people asking about hidden clip systems for their Ipe Decking. There are a lot of options out there but some of the most popular are EdgeClip™, Deckwise® Ipe Clips®, and Camo® Clips.
The Ipe Clip® covers the stainless steel core, protecting it from weathering and deterioration. It also stops people from seeing the reflection of stainless steel from in between the board gaps. Thus preserving the whole reason of hidden clips, by keeping them hidden.
Ipe Woods USA up until December 2019 had recommended some other hidden fasteners. But as times change so do hidden fastening recommendations, and now we are recommending the Ipe Clip®. Not only is it strong, but it also installs fast and covers a portion of the joist from weathering below. It also secures through the board creating a tighter bond between the joist, board, and hidden fastening system. It is a real win for contractors and customers alike. Not only that but it installs with a 3/32″, 5/32″, and 1/4″ gap spacing making it tight but allowing for airflow. The Ipe Clip takes into account many things that are specific to Ipe and exotic hardwood, such as the expansion and contraction that other Ipe hidden fasteners do not.
If you are looking for a tighter spacing the there is no tighter spacing recommended than Deckwise® Ipe Clip® having 3/32″ gap spacing option creates just enough airflow if ventilated properly. However, the tighter the gap spacing you do the more concerned you should be about ventilation. If you do not have prime open ventilation more airflow is better. For complete installation recommendations please visit our installation page.
|Camo® Clips||Deckwise® Ipe Clip®||EdgeClip™|
|Screws Directly into Joist?||Yes||No (better securing by going through wood)||Yes|
|Used with pre-grooved or boards only?||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Gap Space||1/4″||3/32″, 5/32″, and 1/4″||3/16″|
|Warranty||Limited Lifetime Warranty||Limited Warranty||Limited Lifetime Warranty|
Ipe Clip® by Deckwise®
- Secure installation
- For use with pre-grooved boards or biscuit cut
- Screws go through Ipe into joist(s)
- Remember to register the warranty within 45 days of purchase. This also confirms legitimacy of the product.
- Works with pre-grooved boards
- Color options – Black, Grey (if wanting to let Ipe turn grey), Brown
- It doesn’t always do the best with exotic hardwood like Ipe, due to the thin clip sometimes coming loose. When using this we recommend a longer period of acclimation.
- Installs fast, but does not secure through the wood creating the potential for more movement when boards expand and contract.
- Comes with the guide tool
- Screws into joist
- Works with pre-grooved boards
- Color options – black
- Screw directly into joist(s)
- For use with pre-grooved boards only
- Require no pre-drilling in Ipe
- Faster installation than methods requiring pre-drilling
- Talons provide grip into the Ipe
New Alternative to Conventional Hidden Fasteners
While the popularity of hidden fasteners doesn’t seem to be diminishing anytime soon. The new Camo® Edge Fastening System is not only much less expensive but also is a good intermediary between face screwing and hidden clips. It also requires no pre-drilling if used properly!
So how can you not have to pre-drill a screw when using Ipe? Check out this video: